Starting around 1910, the Auto Club sent teams of cartographers to survey the state’s roads for the production of maps and to create a uniform signing system. The Auto Club posted thousands of porcelain-on-steel traffic signs throughout the state and continued to do so until the State of California took over the task in the mid-1950s. The signs were produced by a local company that manufactured porcelain-on-steel bathtubs. A few of these signs remain in service today, though they are extremely rare.
Attached to its original post, it measures 35″ tall 24″ across and it is (mostly the post) 4″ deep.
Price on request.