Dogs ‘n Suds Drive-in Eatery Sign 1956 AP524

Dog ‘n Suds is a midwestern United States chain of root beer and hot dog drive-in style eateries featuring the once popular and now rare form of in-car “carhop” delivery service.

16″ x 16″

Price on request.

The first Dog n Suds was opened in 1953 in Champaign, Illinois, by University of Illinois music teachers James Griggs and Don Hamacher. The chain grew rapidly throughout the 1950s and 1960s, and a training center was established in Champaign, named “Rover College” after the dog on the restaurant signage.¬†At its peak in the mid-1970s, the chain had about 600 restaurants. Griggs sold his interest in the business in the early 1970s. Later owners abandoned the franchise business and sold the rights to make Dog n Suds branded root beer to another company.

Dog n Suds serves many different food items, but mainly serves hot dogs. The “Dog” in Dog n Suds represents the Coney Island hot dog-style chili con carne over hot dog or chili dog served there, while the “Suds” represent its super-sweet original formula homemade root beer, which is served in frosted glass mugs and claimed to be “The World’s Creamiest Root Beer.” Dog n Suds root beer can also be found in some vending machines throughout the midwest, retail stores in the Midwest, and is also available by internet orders in plastic and glass bottles from various retailers.

As of March 2015, there are 14 Dog n Suds restaurants in the United States. The oldest location still operating is in Robinson, Illinois. Opened in 1953, it was the second Dog n Suds location.