Opening on New Year’s Eve in 1927, El Mirador in Palm Springs was one of the most fashionable resorts of its time for the powerful of Hollywood and American industry. During World War II, the resort was purchased by the federal government and used as a hospital. In 1952, Roy Fitzgerald and 17 other investors purchased the resort and hired Paul R. Williams to remodel the hotel, spending over $2 million on the project. Williams’ new design included adding a porte-cochere entry, cabanas, sun decks, new pool area, and an outdoor lounge with modernistic trellis and retractable canopy. When it reopened, the hotel was even more glamorous, attracting movie stars, moguls and national politicians including various US Presidents. The hotel closed in 1973, though the main hotel remained standing until it was destroyed by fire in July 1989.
This piece is from the family who once owned the El Mirador Grand Hotel. Water Jug measures 14 x 15 diameter.