Pair of Brass & Wrought Iron Ceiling Mount Lights from The Hotel Del Monte L436

Pair of Brass & Wrought Iron Ceiling Mount Lights from The Hotel Del Monte in Monterey, CA. Lights measure 12″ diameter.

Charles Crocker along with California’s “Big Four” railroad tycoons built the Hotel del Monte to be the most elegant seaside resort in the world. Although it boasted 126 landscaped acres when it was constructed in 1880, pampered guests, including presidents and kings, stars and magnates and heroes such as Amilia Earhart and Charles Lindburgh, needed a larger playground. Owners added the 7,000-acre Del Monte Forest and 17-Mile Drive, planned to optimize picturesque spots along the Monterey coast, like Cypress Point and Pebble Beach. Burned to the ground in 1887 and 1924, the Del Monte became more luxurious with each incarnation, at one time incorporating a glass-roofed swimming pavilion, race track, lake, tennis courts, and Del Monte Golf Course, now the oldest continuously operating golf course in the West. The third hotel became the Naval Postgraduate School in 1952.

The Hotel Del Monte is named as one of the ten most haunted hotels in the nation. Among the ghosts The gentleman ghost of Charles Crocker is suspected as the one who is haunting the main building, Herrmann Hall. Many unusual occurrences often happen which may be caused by Crocker or other elusive entities. An apparition of a middle-aged man, with a well-groomed gray beard, dressed in a fine, gray suit has often been spotted throughout the hotel, going about his business at hand. A kitchen employee states that he was doing some cleaning up in the empty banquet room, when he felt someone staring at him. Looking up, he saw the fully detailed, solid apparition of this often seen indignant gentleman, glaring straight at him, like he was disgruntled by the lack of service. Recognizing this gentleman as being the often seen ghost, the employee hastily fled the room in terror, making a bee line back to the kitchen, looking ashen in color, totally shaken up. After finally sputtering out his story, a group of the kitchen employees banded together to enter the banquet room to face this dissatisfied ghostly patron. While all the other chairs had been pushed into the table, the chair where this gentleman had been seated, was pushed back, as if someone had gotten up and left. There is an ancient relic of an elevator near the front of Herrmann Hall, that must be operated from the inside of the elevator itself. It has been known to go up and down between floors when no one seen is inside.