Choose a category to see the thousands of items we have for sale. Don’t see it here? Call us. We can hunt down even the most obscure of pieces. We have nealry 15 years experience trading throughout southern California and the US.
Walt Lee, set of 8 small sketches. A sweet variety of subjects and sizes. All Western-themed: Landscape, fishing, trees, mountains, farms. All on paper or cardboard, variety of inks and pencil.
Price on request.
A painter and cartoonist, Walt Lee was born on March 21, 1888 in Pasadena, California on a ranch on what is now the corner of Lake and Colorado streets. Drawing (even on toilet paper) since 4 years of age, he studied the Masters and well-known contemporary artists on his own. He read extensively about other artists – studying their palettes and techniques. In his younger years, before WWI (he enlisted) Walt had commissions for advertisement oil paintings of actors and actresses which were displayed outside the theatres by the largest movie houses on Hollywood Boulevard. Each was framed and done in about 4 times life size. Lee also studied with Hanson Puthuff and Paul Lauritz.
He later taught cartooning at the Chouinard Art School (1935) and was art director of Illustrated Daily News. He then worked in the Editorial Art Section of the Los Angeles Times until retirement in 1954. Lee was known for his subtle sense of humor which came out in the form of tricks and jokes foisted on his co-workers, and often he was repaid in kind. During his many years working in downtown Los Angeles, he occupied two private studios, one in Olvera Street and another in the famous Bradley Building, many years prior to its renovation. Lee then lived in Lancaster, California where he taught painting and was active in the local art scene. He lived in Tujunga for quite a few years late in his life, but when he fell ill with what would be his final illness, he passed away in Glendale, California at the Adventist Hospital on March 13, 1980.
- Walt Lee: Sketches, Rough of House and Outbuilding P1391
- Walt Lee: Adobe Sketch P1390
- Walt Lee: Pair of Sketches P1389
- Walt Lee: Sketches, “West of Santa Barbara” P1387
- Walt Lee: Sketchbook P1386
- Walt Lee: Sketches P1385
- Soap Box Derby Helmet A1138
- Andre C. Lambert Etching P1384
- Andre C. Lambert: Spanish Scene Etching P1383
- Hopi Coil Basket A1137
- Prescott Chaplin: “The Gambler” Block Print P1382
- Prescott Chaplin: “Water Vendor” Block Print P1381
- Paint-by-Numbers Farm Landscape P1380
- Portrait of Movie Star in Spanish Costume P1375
- Dancing Señorita P1373
- Portrait of Matador P1372
- Standing Nude with Flute P1371
- Spanish Revival Two-Candle Table Lamp with Shell Shade L602
- Taylor Tile Lamp with Painted Shade L601
- Venetian Glass Lamp L600
- American West Mountain Landscape P1364
- 19th Century English Hunting Scene P1363
- Berlin Congress of 1885 Print with Amazing Frame P1379
- Folk Art Lord’s Prayer Sampler 1884 A1136