Standing male nude with flute. Unsigned, oil on canvas. Classic on a familiar Grecian theme but contemporary feel as well. 25 x 41 framed, art is 20.5 x 37. Stamped Aug. Walker Gallery, New Bond Street, on back. Late 19th or early 20th century.
Walker’s Gallery was founded circa. 1890 by Augustus Joel Walker (1868-1965), art dealer, artists’ colourman, frame-maker and fine art publisher. Born in Wandsworth, the son of a tailor he died three years short of his century in Odiham, Hampshire. His estate was valued at the 2014 equivalent of £1.3 million. Located at 118 New Bond Street, the Gallery is known to have staged the first exhibition of the Seven and Five Society in April 1920. It appears to have existed until the early 1960’s with dozens of artists exhibiting there yet, little is known about the establishment. Several authorities refer to it in the plural as Walker’s Galleries. The Gallery under the auspices of its proprietor published Walker’s Quarterly during the period 1920-1932. Each edition was devoted to a monograph on an individual artist or a specific aspect of art. These included David Roberts, Thomas Shotter Boys, John Sell Cotman, William Callow, Henry Holiday, John Fredrick Lewis, John Burgess, Henry Bright, Edward Morison Wimperis, Charles Bentley, Francis Nicholson, Samuel Lucas, James Holland and others.