The Victory V brand of lozenges put out a large variety of promotional objects. We have never seen another example of this particular store display clock. A rather magical object, in our estimation. Circa 1900. And the brand survives to this day. Somebody somewhere in Britain still stocks it.
Some rust and age spots, and the clock does not work at this time, but otherwise very fresh looking. 14″ TALL X 10″ WIDE 4 1/2″ DEEP.
Price on request.
It’s hard to fathom which is the biggest mystery: why the fiery taste of Victory V lozenges seems to have almost disappeared from the nation’s gobs – or why these odd concoctions were ever popular in the first place. Still churned out for a small but devoted band of asbestos-mouthed fans, the Victory V has a long history. The lozenges were, indirectly, inspired by Admiral Nelson’s famous ship, having been named at a pub called the Nelson Inn which was – you guessed it – in the Lancashire town of Nelson. It was there in 1864 that a confectioner named Thomas Fryer created his palliative for the common cold by combining pulverised sugar, linseed, liquorice, chlorodyne (a soothing mix of cannabis and chloroform) and pure acacia gum. It met with acclaim. In 1880 the Victory Works were opened and by the 1920s the Victory V had gone global. Yet today you’d be hard-pressed to find one. Maybe it’s because they’ve dropped the dope. For the record, they are nowadays made by Ernest Jackson & Co Ltd of Devon and cost about 75p a pack
And from Wikipedia: Victory V is a British brand of liquorice-flavoured lozenges.[Originally manufactured in Nelson, Lancashire, they were devised by Thomas Fryer and Edward Smith MD in the mid-19th century and were initially made by hand to ensure that each sweet contained the correct amount of therapeutic ingredients; ether, liquorice and chloroform.
In 1959, a film was produced by Red Rose Films called The Story of Victory-V, documenting the production of Victory V lozenges and other products of the Nelson Victory V factory.
In the 1960s they acquired the Alverthorpe firm of A.Talbot and Son. Victory V lozenges are available in specialist shops and online, but no longer contain chloroform or ether. However, their scent and flavour is still vividly reminiscent of diethyl ether – presumably recreated via artificial means, in order to preserve the original flavour. Today they are manufactured by Ernest Jackson & Co. Ltd. in Devon.